Glin Rovers A V Carrig Celtic write up 24.8.13

Carrig Celtic A 3 – Glin Rovers A 2
Glin dominated the majority ofthe first half but unfortunately the result didnt go our way. Ambrose had a shot tipped over the crossbar by the Carrig Keeper who made a succession of fine saves to prevent Glin the victory. Quarter of an hour into the game Carrig broke and took full advantage of a mistake to take the lead. After this goal Glin lifted their game and had 2 great chances from free kicks in dangerous positions but Gary Culhane’s efforts on the 16th and 18th minute were again stopped by the Carrig Custodian. Tommy Culhane played a quick free kick to Donovan in acres of space on the right flank,he sent in a delightful cross which found Sullivan but Carrig’s No.1 was equal to Sullivan’s effort. We dominated possession as Edmond Horan and Tommy Culhane were linking up well with the wingers Pa Killeen and David O’Sullivan also the strikers Ambrose Lanigan and Darren Sheahan. On the 25th minute we looked to have a penalty but to our disappointment the referee waved play on as Tommy appeared to be taken down in the box unfairly. Tadgh Culhane’s headered effort from a corner was aimed straight at the goalie on the half hour mark. The defence of Tadgh and Gary Culhane and full backs Brian Donovan and Shane Culhane were relitively quiet defending wise but offered alot attacking. The Carrig defence was eventually broken down five minutes before half time when Ed past to Tommy on the centre circle and Tommy made an astonishing run from the half way line beating 3 defenders en route before cooly dispatching his effort into the bottom corner to put Glin on level terms. 2 minutes later it was his brother Gary’s turn to get on the score sheet with an excellently struck free kick from 25 yards that sailed into the top corner. The half time whistle soon sounded as Glin went into the interval leading 2-1.
The second half started and was only 2 minutes old when Carrig equalised as we conceded possession deep in our half and the Carrig striker took full advantage. Carrig were much more attacking in the second half and Stack had to be brought into action on a couple of occasions with a string of fine saves. The second half was played at a high pace and it was literally from one end to the other. Gary had another free saved on the 53rd minute while Carrig won a corner or two at the other end. Killeen had a volley just wide of the post on the 65th minute and Lanigan made a great chance for himself but was denied once again by the Carrig Keeper. Disaster struck 15 minutes before time as Carrig score their 3rd and final goal of the game as a attempted clearance fell short and again Carrig capitalized. The game was paled out with very little or no chances as Glin threw everything forward but couldn’t find that equalizer. The game finished 3-2 in favour of Carrig.
Team:Michael Stack, Shane Culhane, Tadgh Culhane, Gary Culhane, Brian Donovan, David O’Sullivan, Tommy Culhane, Edmond Horan, Patrick Killeen, Darren Sheahan and Ambrose Lanigan.
Subs:Jack Costello for Patrick Killeen (76 mins)
Unused Subs:Joe Stack and Aidan Mulvihill

This entry was posted in All Glin News.... Bookmark the permalink.