Glin GAA

Junior A Championship West Final

Glin 2-12    Fr. Casey’s 0-7

The biggest game of the year so far took place in Newcastle West last Saturday evening. Played in glorious conditions and on an immaculate playing surface, we retained our West Junior title in style. In the opening minutes, Pádraig Scanlon got Glin’s first point from 35 yards out. Abbeyfeale responded in kind before Tommy Culhane and Darren Sheahan kicked two fine points of their own. In the 18th minute, Mark Culhane slotted over a 45’ which stretched our lead to 3 points. Two minutes later, Edmond Horan won possession in the middle of the field and delivered a great ball in Tommy. He then beat his marker before laying it off to Scanlon who rifled the ball to the back of the net. It was a huge boost to Glin at a crucial stage of the game. At half time, we led 1-5 to 0-2.

After the break, we took up where we left off. Philip Moloney found Tommy with an accurate kick pass who flicked it onto Darren who then curled the ball over from 30 yards. Philip and Mark kicked further points to really put the pressure on Fr. Casey’s. To our opponent’s credit, they battled hard and using the bench well, amidst going down to 14 men due to a sending off, they kicked 3 points in a row to reduce the deficit. However, Glin got back into gear with Mark striking over two points, including a second 45’, and Paddy Fitzgerald weaving his way through the defence before scoring with the outside of the right boot from 30 yards. Edmond Horan then capped a great performance in the middle of the field with a well taken point. Horan then made a fine block on an Abbeyfeale forward before gathering possession and launching a counterattack down the field. He linked up with Tommy, who then delivered an expert hand pass to Paul Sheahan in space. Without a moment’s hesitation, Sheahan struck the ball sweetly into the top corner of the net. Glin were on a roll now. John Wallace, in only his second championship match, finished another fine team move with a point and on the stroke of full time, Pádraig Scanlon curled over another right footed effort.

The final whistle brought cheers of jubilation from the Glin supporters and it was clear to see how much it meant to the players. Gerry Molyneaux presented the cup on behalf of the West Board to Paddy Fitzgerald, this year’s captain. In his victory speech, he thanked the officials, Newcastle West GAA club for their facilities and Fr. Casey’s for their efforts. He also gave special praise to our loyal supporters, all the members of the Glin backroom team and the players who’ve made such a brilliant effort this year. We await a County quarter-final against the losers of the East Junior A Final which will be played in the upcoming weeks.

Team: M. Stack, T. O’Connor, B. O’Donovan, B. Culhane, S. Shine, J. Fitzgerald, P. Costello, P. Moloney (0-1), E. Horan (0-1), P. Sheahan (1-0), M. Culhane (0-3), D. Sheahan (0-2), P. Scanlon (1-2), P. Fitzgerald (0-1, capt.), T. Culhane (0-1). Subs: John Wallace (0-1) for S. Shine, M. Sweeney for B. Culhane, A. Mulvihill for D. Sheahan, G. Culhane for P. Sheahan, H. Dunne for T. O’Connor, K. McMahon, James. Wallace,  K. Scanlon, M. Sheehy.

Upcoming Training

Junior A training Tuesday and Thursday at 6.30pm

This entry was posted in All Glin News..., GAA. Bookmark the permalink.