Glin Gaa

Munster Junior Club Football Quarter Final
Glin 1-12
Inane Rovers  2-08

It’s fair to say that the last ten days are up there with the greatest ever in the history of Glin GAA club. Following on from our victory over Kilteely-Dromkeen in the County Junior Final the previous week, we embarked on our maiden voyage outside the county in the Munster Junior Club championship. Our opponents, Inane Rovers, were victorious in a close encounter the previous week themselves and both teams hit the field last Sunday with their eyes firmly focused on progressing further. Unfortunately, due to the inclement weather during the week, this game couldn’t take place in Glin but Newcastle West was in fine condition for the game.

The game began at 100 miles an hour, with Glin taking the lead through a left footed point by Pádraig Scanlon and Mark Culhane converting three frees. Inane then came back into the match with some well worked scores of their own. Midway through the half, Scanlon and Philip Moloney curled over two more fine points before Inane responded with similar scores. Mark was on song with his free taking all afternoon and slotted over another long range effort in the 25th minute. Again Inane responded with a point of their own, but as they began to grow more into the game, we got a crucial goal. A long pass in towards Mark, was deftly flicked behind his back into the path of the on-rushing Pádraig Scanlon, who struck it first time to the back of the net. It was a brilliantly executed move and when Mark kicked another point before half time, we went into the break 1-06 to 0-03 in front.

The second half was a much tighter affair. Inane Rovers began to take control around the middle of the field and some incisive moves began to pay dividends. When our opponents scored two goals and number of points, we could have faded away. Instead our boys responded with an increased work rate and determination. Mark Culhane’s freetaking kept us in touch and Darren Sheahan scored two vital points which put us two ahead as we entered the game’s latter stages. Once more, Inane piled the pressure on our defence.  They say, ‘Cometh the hour, cometh the man’, and no more was this exemplified than in the 55th minute. The ball was taken on by an Inane forward who bore down on our goal, one on one with Michael Stack. The forward let fly with a rocket of a shot but Stackie showed the reflexes of a cat to dive full stretch to deny a certain goal. The final minutes ticked down for what seemed like an eternity, until the Waterford official blew the whistle to the relief and joy of the Glin people present. After losing so many close games like this, great credit is due to our players for getting over the line. Our prize – a Munster semi final against Waterford opposition in two weeks time, for what is sure to be another momentous occasion. Fair play to Newcastle West for the great condition of the pitch and their facilities and to Whelan’s Bar for providing refreshments to both teams and supporters after the match.

Team: M. Stack, T. O’Connor, B. O’Donovan, K. Sweeney, John Wallace, J. Fitzgerald, P. Costello, P. Moloney (0-1), E. Horan, P. Sheahan, M. Culhane (0-7), D. Sheahan (0-2), P. Scanlon (1-2), P. Fitzgerald, T. Culhane. Subs: T. Scanlon for P. Sheahan, M. Sweeney for M. Culhane, H. Dunne, A. Mulvihill, G. Culhane, James Wallace, K. Scanlon, B. Culhane, S. Shine, P. Horan, K. Moore.


Munster Junior C’ship Semi-final: Glin vs Kill or An tSean Phobail (Waterford), the weekend of November 23rd. Venue and time to be confirmed next week.

This entry was posted in All Glin News..., GAA, Historical Society. Bookmark the permalink.