West Junior B League

Mountcollins 2-5

Glin 0-11

Our second Junior B outing of the year took us to Mountcollins last Tuesday evening. Missing many regulars, great credit is due to the lads who showed up with manager James Donovan rolling back the years by pulling on the No. 15 jersey so we had a full team.  We started very well with Alan O’Donovan, Gary Culhane and Aiden Mulvihill kicking some great scores. Our defence and midfield had a fine first half, restricting Mountcollins to two points. At half time, we led 0-6 to 0-2.  We continued in the same vein at the beginning of the second period with Mulvihill getting a further point and Culhane with two fine efforts, including a ’45. Our experienced full forward line caused problems all day for our opponents and it was ferocious pressure from veteran forward James Donovan in the corner which led to a turnover that was converted by son, Alan, for his third point of the game. Unfortunately, we conceded two goals during the second half which kept Mountcollins in the game. Gary Culhane and Peadar Mulvihill knocked over further points before the full time. The match ended a draw, which was a good result considering the amount of players missing. We now await Gerald Griffins in our last group game.

Team: M. Sheehy, K. Scanlon, S. Lyons, S. Barrett, H. Dunne, K. Sweeney, F. Geoghegan, M. Sweeney, P. Horan, A. Mulvihill (0-2).  G.Culhane (0-5), A. O’Donovan (0-3), G. Riordan, P. Mulvihill (0-1), J. O’ Donovan.

Intermediate Football

Glin 0-8

Athea 2-8

Our first Intermediate group game was played in Foynes last Saturday evening. We began the game well with Kevin Moore converting a free after a Jack Fitzgerald was fouled while on a great solo run. Mark Culhane kicked over another free minutes later following good work from Darren Sheahan. Athea responded with points of their own, and this trend continued throughout the first half.  Our backs did reasonably well, with Paul Sheahan execution of a text book tackle in the 20th minute catching the eye. Mark slotted over a ’45 in the 22nd minute, and Culhane and Moore kicked further points in the run up to half time. After 30 minutes we led, 0-6 to 0-4.

The second half was a tougher affair. We conceded an early goal from a penalty and then were reduced to 14 men after a harsh second yellow card. Scores were hard to come by with Culhane our only scorer with two further points. Athea got their second goal with 10 minutes remaining which proved to be decisive. Final score, Glin 0-8 Athea 2-8. Although we had hoped to play better, there are four more group games to go, with the top three team qualifying for the knock out stages, so it’s still all to play for. Our next game against Oola is pencilled in for May 9th in Feenagh at 5.15.

Team: M. Stack, S. Shine, K. Sweeney, T. Scanlon, K. McMahon, John Wallace, B. O’Donovan (capt.), J. Fitzgerald, P. Sheahan, D. Sheahan, P. Fitzgerald, A. Mulvihill, K. Moore (0-2), M. Culhane (0-6), M. Sweeney. Subs: S. Culhane for A. Mulvihill, E. Horan for M. Culhane, H. Dunne for K. McMahon, K. Scanlon, M. Sheehy, P. Horan, B. Culhane, K. Geoghegan, P. Costello, F. Geoghegan, James Wallace.

Limerick Minors

Well done to John and James Wallace and the Limerick minor footballers on their recent victory over Waterford with John’s well taken goal in the second half proving vital in the end. Great credit is due to players and management for the way in which they finished the game after being 9 points down at one stage. They now face Clare, with the winners meeting Tipperary in the Munster semi-final.


Glin GAA club would like to extend their deepest sympathy to the families of Myra Reidy and Peggy O’Connor who died recently.


Training continues at the field this Tuesday at 7pm.

This entry was posted in GAA. Bookmark the permalink.