GB Rovers U15 Team win DESMOND CUP 2015 28/4/15

GB ROVERS U15’s put in a very strong performance against Newcastle West in the Desmond Cup Final last Tuesday night 28/4/15 at Clonreask in probably the worst weather conditions i have seen thus far this season. The Rain was relentless and made conditions very difficult for both teams.
GB Rovers lined out as follows:
Shane O Sullivan, John Daniel Hickie, Tadhg McEvoy, Tomas Woulfe, MJ Ambrose (Capt), Cormac Healy, Sheagh O Connor, David Daly, Paddy O Callagahan, Ben Sheehan, Johnny O Sullivan.
Extended Squad: Fionn Henderson, Shane Cregan, Daragh Leahy, Conor Shine, Mike Cregan, Andrew Fitzgerald, JD Cregan.
Newcastle began the stronger playing with a slight breeze and had a good chance on 5 minutes but the alert Shane O Sullivan in the GB Goal was alert and saved well. On 10 minutes Shane was called upon once more this time Newcastle played in a long ball and Shane had to speed off his line to kick clear from an attacking player. Ben Sheehan did well on 12 minutes to win the ball in midfield and released Sheagh O Connor who played in a neat pass in behind the NCW cover but the Goalkeeper managed to clear the danger. Shane O Sullivan was on hand again on 14 minutes when he saved well low to his left from a shot from outside the box. Newcastle were bossing the game in the first 20 minutes but GB Rovers defence is rock solid, The two powerhouse centre halves have a commanding presence for GB and McEvoy and Woulfe mopped up everything that came their way. In MJ Ambrose (captain) and John Daniel Hickie they have 2 players that have developed in to fine defenders with cool heads under pressure. They were well in control of their wings in the opening exchanges and NCW could not get past them down the flanks. Cormac Healy was very alert tonight tracking back at every sign of danger, across midfiled every time there was a battle for the ball he was in the thick of the action. Nearly all of GB’s attacks came from the lively Sheagh O Connor and Johnny O Sullivan who had begun to gain command of the midfield area. Ben Sheehan was everywhere in the opening exchanges and nearly got in on goal from a Sheagh pass, his shot saved by the NCW Keeper. Paddy O Callaghan was making his presence felt from the get go and he nearly scored in the 18th minute, Sheagh O Connor made a great burst down the left wing which resulted in a throw in for GB, Paddy O Callaghan snatched on the throw in and hit a nice shot which the NCW Keeper saved. Within a minute of that attack Shane O Sullivan was called upon again, he dived bravely at the feet of a NCW forward and smothered the ball just as a shot was coming. Brave work by the Keeper considering the hazourdous ground conditions resulting form the torrential rain at Clonreask. David Daly was patrolling his side of the pitch well tonight and he played in Ben Sheehan with a great pass on 22 minutes but the NCW Keeper saved from Ben. Tomas Woulfe did well on 25 minutes when he headed clear near the goal line to avert a dangerous sitiation. Perhaps the move of the first half came on 27 minutes when Sheagh O Connor made a great burst in midfield releasing the ball to Paddy O Callaghan who passed to Johnny who then set Ben in on goal but the Keeper saved well form Ben’s shot. Ben had another crack at the NCW goal on 33 minutes but the keeper managed to save well again. We had a near scare on 38 minutes but Tadhg McEvoy used his strenght to thward a NCW shot on goal and clear the danger.
The second half began with GB Rovers in dominating form, Great work by Johnny O Sullivan played in Ben, he squeezed past 2 NCW defenders but his shot on goal just went inches wide. John Daniel made a great tackle on 45 minutes to clear certain danger down his wing at the expence of a throw in. On 50 Minutes Shane O Sullivan made a good save once again and kept it 0-0. Shane showed great concentration tonight. Its not easy for a keepr to keep his/her concentration in such weather conditions but he showed great presence in goal tonight. We finally got the break we needed on 54 minutes, Great work by Johhny O Sullivan resulted in us getting a hand ball inside the box, referee Paudie Manning blew for a penalty. Johnny stepped up to the plate and made no mistake slotting the ball in to the NCW net low and swift to give GB a 1-0 lead and one hand on the cup. Two minutes later Ben was unlucky not to score when the keeper saved at his feet. NCW went straight up the pitch after this and again Shane O Sullivan saved GB with some help from Tomas Woulfe. NCW began to realise they needed to do something here and they attacked down MJ Ambroses wing on many occassion to try and get back in to the game. They rarely got in behind the yound defender who is becoming a fine player. Ben Sheehan was capitalising on the dominace of Sheagh and Johnny in midfield. Sheagh in particular was controlling the centre area while Johnny was playing off Sheagh and releasing Ben and Paddy at will. Ben came close twice in a two minute spell half way through the second half but the keeper did well to save from him twice with one great save in particular.
Shane, Michael and JD Cregan came on for GB in the second half to bolster the team. GB Made the victory secure with just 5 minutes to go when Man of the Match Sheagh O Connor pounced to shoot us in to a 2-0 lead. A great victory for the GB Rovers tonight, well done to players, Managers and supporters who braved the elements at Clonreask to see MJ Ambrose lift the cup For 2015. Special mention to the Grounds staff at Clonresk, the pitch was perfect tonight and in such conditions.

This entry was posted in All Glin News.... Bookmark the permalink.