Intermediate Football

Glin 1-11

Oola 1-11

Our second outing of the year in the Intermediate championship was last Saturday evening in Feenagh. We faced an Oola side that had beaten Mungret in their first game. We started very well, with Kevin Moore slotting over a fine point from the right hand side of the field in the 3rd minute. Moments later Shane Culhane got his first point of the game with a curling effort from 30 yards out. However that early promise was clinically undone when Oola stole in behind our defence for the first goal of the contest. They followed up with 6 unanswered points and to their credit were playing some fine direct attacking football. Moore got his second point in the 24th minute, this time from the left hand side. Mark Culhane slotted over a free shortly afterwards, but Oola responded in kind, and went in at the half-time break with a commanding lead, the score Oola 1-8 Glin 0-4.

It was going to take a Herculanian effort from our boys to turn this game around, but that was exactly how they came out of the traps after half-time. Edmond Horan fielded a great ball from an Oola kickout and set up Paddy Fitzgerald who struck over a wonderful point from 35 yards out. Kevin Moore really caught the game by the scruff of the neck in the second period and his pass found Paul Sheahan who made no mistake with another point. Kevin and Mark bisected the posts once more and we were really putting the pressure on our opponents now. Our new midfield pairing of Kevin Sweeney and Edmond really began to dominate during this purple patch. Moore then won a difficult ball, turned his man and headed for goal before flicking the ball to Shane Culhane. The wing forward made no mistake, rifling the ball to the back of the net.  At this stage, we were firmly in the ascendancy and a penetrating run from John Wallace yielded yet another point, giving us a 1 point lead. As the game entered the final ten minutes, Oola began to respond, kicking over two dubiously awarded frees. Moore got one more point before Aidan Mulvihill converted a point from the tightest of angles on the left hand side. Oola got a point back to level the game and although both sides had chances, the game finished 1-11 apiece. Great credit is due to the Glin players for their comeback in the second half after being 7 points down and surely now this will be the catalyst for getting our season back on track.

Team: M. Stack, K. Geoghegan, B. O’Donovan (capt.), H. Dunne, John Wallace (0-1), J. Fitzgerald, P. Costello, E. Horan, K. Sweeney, P. Sheahan (0-1), M. Sweeney, S. Culhane(1-1), K. Moore (0-4), M. Culhane (0-2), P. Fitzgerald (0-1). Subs: T. Scanlon for H. Dunne, K. McMahon for K. Geoghegan, D. Sheahan for M. Sweeney, A. Mulvihill for Sheahan, P. Horan, K. Scanlon, M. Sheehy, F. Geoghegan, B. Culhane.


County League Div. 3 Bruff vs Glin, Thursday May 14th at 7pm in Bruff

This entry was posted in GAA. Bookmark the permalink.