Glin Rovers “B” V Ballingarry “B” 2-0
( Barclay Costello, Patrick O Shaughnessy).

With both sides finishing level pegging at the top of the table they met last Sunday in the Demesne, Newcastle West in a play off game to decide who would be crowned Champions of Division 3.

Glin Rovers “B” lined out as follows: Sean Lyons In Goal, Oakley Costello, Ger Lyons, Sean Mulvihill & Aidan Mulvihill in defence, Shane McInerney, Oliver Wallace (C), Fergal Fitzgerald & David O’Sullivan in midfield & Barclay Costello and Ger Riordan up front. The squad was completed with Patrick O Shaughnessy, Jack Costello, Bobby Ryan, James McSweeney & Ian Hogan. Bernard Dalton, Edward Mulvihill, David Scanlon & Stephen Barrett.

We got a first glimpse of the goal after 3 minutes, Shane McInerney headed on to Barclay Costello in just outside the box but he was fouled and from the resulting free kick Sean Mulvihill just shot over the crossbar. On 5 minutes Fergal Fitzgerald sent a high ball in to the box to Oakley and he hit a nice ball in towards Ger Riordan who was just pipped to the ball by the Keeper. The best move of the openng 10 minutes came on 7 minutes when David O Sullivan beat 2 players down the left wing and squared the ball to Ger Riordan in the box, Ger’s shot was blocked and cleared by Ballingarry. Ballingarry had a chance on 9 minutes from a snapshot which went wide of Sean Lyon’s goal. Lyon’s save well then on 12 minutes from a dangerous free kick. He dived well to secure the ball as it was on its way to the right hand side of the post. Ballingarry’s keeper made a great save from Ger Riordan shortly after that when he got down to divert Ger’s shot with his feet. Their Keeper saved from Ger again on 17 mintues, this time from a half vollery by Ger. 22 minutes in Ger Lyons played a good ball in to Dave who was fouled at the edge of the box, Ger Lyons free kick ended up inches to over the crossbar and on to the top of the netting. Sean Lyons was on hand again on 27 minutes this time he saved well under his crossbar from a corner with 3 Ballingarry players surrounding him.

Ger Riordan looked the most likely player to break the deadlock and he had a good chance again following a good pass from Oakley in from the right wing. Ger chipped the ball up towards his Knee and took a snapshot at the goal but again the keeper was positioned well to save. Shane McInerney was having a good game down the right wing in the first half and most of our crosses in came from his boot, Barclay nearly scored form Shane’s cross on 33 minutes. Ballingarry could have scored the opener on 34 minutes only Sean Lyons made a good save from a long range shot from, the ball came through a group of players but he got down well to save and gather the ball. David O Sullivan was very dangerous for Glin in the first half hand he made 3-4 great runs at Ballingarry early in the second half. Sean Mulvihill and Ger Lyons headed at least 4-5 dangerous balls away in the first half and Oakley and Aidan Mulvihill were alert to the danger down the wings in the first half.

The second half began and we got a corner right from the start through David O Sullivan from which Oliver Wallace headed towards goal but it was cleared. Olly and Fergal were having a right battle in midfield as Ballingarry were strong across that area. 3 minutes in Ger Riordan somehow won a ball he had no right to and passed back to Barclay, Barclay played him in behind the defence but the Keeper came out very fast and cleared the ball. Fergal Fitzgerald was beginning to get a grip at midfield and 10 minutes into the second half he won the ball and set up Olly for a shot from 30 yards, the keeper saved again. Ballingarry and Glin’s keepers were playing well in this game.

From 15 minutes into the second half Aidan Mulvihill began to stamp his name on this game, he took Glin in to Ballingarry territory on numberous occassions from 60 minutes onwards. He was very dangerous down the left wing in the second half. 12 minutes in to the second half Lyons made a fine save with his legs, He came out fast to save with his legs from a close range shot in front of his goal. 15 minutes in Sean Mulvihill played a long diagonal ball over midfield and into the path of Ger Riordan who passed the ball to Dave who crossed the ball into the box. Sean Mulvihill’s header was well save by the Keeper. We managed to get in front shortly after that, Fergal Fitzgerald picked up a loose ball in midfield he passed it to Aidan Mulvihill on the left wing who played a brilliant ball to Ger Riordan down the left wing behing his marker. Ger beat 2 players as he cut inside towards the goal and sent in a dangerous cross which was met by Barclay Costello. A headed goal to give us a 1-0 lead and a bit of breathing space at last against Ballingarry who were playing well in this game. Lyons in fact had to make another smart save a minute later to keep it at 1-0. Jack Costello was introduced on 70 minutes, a player well capable of scoring goals. Oakley was very effective going forward today and he combined well with Ger Riordan today on numerous occassions.

Oliver Wallace, B captain was playing very well today and he was winning 90% of high balls in midfield but his distribution of the ball from midfield today was excellent. Ger Lyons did very well on 75 minutes to steer an attacker away from goal and out to the wing, a shot was on but Ger cooly marshalled his man and the ball away from our goal. Ballingarry’s keeper made a good save from Barclay on 76 minutes. Patrick O Shaughnessy and James McSweeney came on for Glin to give our attack fresh legs.

We went 2-0 up on 82 minutes following a good move into Ballingarry territory resulting in a corner kick. Sean Mulvihills corner kick was cleared but shortly after we got the ball back and Sean sent in a lovely cross in to the box where Patrick O Shaughnessy was alert, he got in to the right place at the right time and headed the ball into the back of the net from close range. It was the turning point in the game and Glin B had one hand on the title. Jack Costello showed how much the team wanted the title on 87 minutes when he found himself in the backs, he threw himself into a great double tackle to prevent a Ballingarry player getting the ball in down our wing and he got the ball clear.

The B team have represented the club in Hogan Cup & League Cup finals with wins in both in recent years and they reached a Desmond Cup Quarter final & Semi Final in recent season’s but they have been been very unlucky not to have won the Division 3 on a few occassions but today was to be their day and we congratulate Manager’s Barlay Costello & Mike Stack and Glin Rovers “B” players on winnng the Division 3 title. They were made fight all the way by Ballingarry “B” today who have had a fine season themselves and the 2 teams will meet again in Division 2 next season. Thanks to Newcastle AFC also on their facilities and an excellent playing surface. It was a good weekend in Newcastle West for Glin,
A Division 3 title and A Desmond Cup triumph.

This entry was posted in All Glin News.... Bookmark the permalink.