The Glin GAA AGM was held last Friday at the clubhouse. We would like to welcome Nollaig Hogan to the role of club treasurer. There was a great atmosphere throughout the meeting and we wish all our officers, mentors and players the best for the 2017 season.

1967 West U21 Final

In the third part of the series, we look back at the newspaper report our U21s superb victory in the West final of 1967.

Glin 3-10

St. Senan’s 1-5

Glin collected their third divisional title of the season at Askeaton on Sunday when they scored a decisive win over an under-strength St. Senan’s side in the Western under-21 football final. Despite the big disparity in the scores, the game was for the most part quite an entertaining contest. Indeed the under-21s in both codes this year aroused a new and most encouraging interest and the enthusiasm that has justified the highest hope of the promoters of the competitions.

The relatively big gathering of patrons at the mid-Deelside enclosure certainly got good value for their money with a display that never lacked punch and determination. Although the Glin superiority was evident from an early stage, the Foynes lads never gave up trying. Without five of their regular men, they kept fighting back with everything they had until the final whistle, even though the issue was well beyond doubt ten or twelve minutes from full time. The “Saints” were still in it with a sporting chance at the interval when they were only four points down after a convincing enough display in the opening half. On the resumption, however, the winners paved the way for ultimate success with an early shock goal. St. Senan’s fought back gamely, but another goal and a further succession of points gave Glin a commanding lead as they strided with confident ease into the closing quarter. But even then the game did not become dull and interesting as might have been reasonably expected in the circumstances.

Donal Geoghegan, who was in rare scoring mood throughout, was one of the main contributers to Glin’s winning tally. He was ably assisted in a very effective forward line by John Joe Stack, Dick Connors,Dan Fitzgerald and Jimmy Meade. Jack Dunne and Mick McMahon were very much on top around midfield, while Paddy Sweeney, Mulvihill, Danny Enright and Dan Hogan provided a very sound and dependable defence. Michael Gallagher, Larry Frost, Joe Behan, Basil Fitzsimmons, Paddy Dunleavy and the Lane brothers were most in the picture for Senan’s. Glin got away to a dramatic start when John Joe Stack from a goalmouth scramble, fisted the ball into the net in the opening minute of the game. The sharp shooting Donal Geoghegan followed up with a Glin point, but Senan’s soon recovered from the early reverses. After a spectacular solo run Larry Frost dropped a dangerous ball in the Glin square and Joe Behan finished the effort by getting the ball between the Glin posts to leave the issue wide open again. However, Geoghegan promptly replied with a brace of Glin points before Frost and Geoghegan again exchanged points. Glin led at the interval by 1-6 to 1-2.

Eight minutes after the resumption, Dan Fitzgerald caught the Saints off the mark for a Glin goal after Dick Connors sent in one of his many long drives from midfield. After Donal Geoghegan had again sent the ball over the bar, Jimmy Martin put the final seal of victory on Glin’s effort with another goal after his kick had rebounded off the upright. Denny O’Rourke replied with a Foynes point before John Joe Stack, Donal Geoghegan and Paddy Culhane sent over a sequence of there more points for Glin. Michael Gallagher (St. Senan’s) and Dick O’ Connor (Glin) added further points before the final whistle. Mr. M. O’Connor (Treaty Sarsfields) was a very capable referee. Glin team: E. Mulvihill, Paddy Sweeney, Danny Enright, Dan Hogan, Dan Culhane, Michael Fitzgerald, Jack Dunne, Paddy Culhane, Michael McMahon, Donal Geoghegan, Dick O’Connor, Jimmy Meade, Dan Fitzgerald, John Joe Stack, Billy Martin.

This entry was posted in All Glin News.... Bookmark the permalink.